Fitness Rules and Procedures
FITNESS CLASS RULES
- Eat right. Work hard! Get fit!
- Be resourceful, responsible and respectful of yourself, others, and property.
- No access to the locker room accept at the beginning and end of class. Tardy students use the south gym entrance (by the water machine).
- No bathroom or water-fountain breaks, but you can have water any time if you bring your own water bottle. Do not spread germs by sharing.
- Food, drinks (except water), and gum are not allowed.
- Wear approved PE clothing (exercise clothing not worn to other classes) each day. Do not wear jewelry.
- Do not bring pencils/pens, phones, money, etc. to fitness class unless specifically instructed to do so.
- Bring your Chromebook each day. Chromebooks are for academic, class-specific use only.
- If you miss a workout or test, or want to retake a test, email Ms. Curfman within ten school days to set a make-up/retake appointment.
- Follow specific fitness rules and procedures covered in class (posted on Ms. Curfman’s Showalter Teacher Website at www.tukwila.wednet.edu).
FITNESS CLASS PROCEDURES
- At the beginning of class:
- Before entering the locker room, check the bulletin board for daily information.
- Be in the locker room prior to the tardy bell.
- Come prepared to class: wear PE clothes, be prepared to workout outside or inside, bring your Chromebook, and bring completed assignments when they are due. Reminder: there are no bathroom breaks or passes out of class.
- If you come to class unprepared (No PE clothes, missing Chromebook, etc...) get a refocus sheet from the grey cart, complete it, and give it to Ms. Curfman .
- Read the daily lesson plan (available on google classroom or posted in the gym or the weight room) and follow the “do now” instructions.
- On days PE clothes are required, you are allowed four (4) minutes following the tardy bell to get ready for class and be in your assigned seat.
- On days when PE clothes are not to be worn, no time in the locker room is allowed. Bring your backpack/binder with you and be in your assigned seat prior to the tardy bell.
- During class:
- When the teacher blows the whistle or calls for class attention: "freeze", stop what you are doing, put down equipment and be still, turn to face the teacher, listen and pay attention while looking at the teacher, follow teacher signals, allow the teacher to finish speaking before asking questions, raise your hand to be called upon before speaking.
- Submitting assignments: turn in electronically unless otherwise instructed. All paper assignments must be handed directly to the teacher.
- Transitions: always jog in and out to the track/field and line up in lane 6 at the track fence, walk quickly between the gym / weight room / hallway, be respectful and do not waste time during transitions.
- Warm-up/stretching/workouts/cool-down: follow the teacher and/or class leader directions. Fully participate in the routine and do not delay participation (i.e. start a few seconds late, adjust clothing, avoid full motion/effort). Stay on task and do not disrupt learning by talking or displaying inappropriate behavior.
- Treat others and equipment respectfully. Equipment is to be used properly and only when directed.
- At the end of class:
- Equipment needs to be put away and the class will need to be quietly seated.
- You are allowed to go to the locker room only when dismissed by the teacher.
- Follow locker room rules and remain in the locker room until the dismissal bell.
- Outside of class:
- The weight room is available for those who want additional exercise time; check the fitness calendar for availability.
- If you are using the weight room before 7:50 am, enter the weight room through the gym foyer doors, not through the main school building.
- You have 10 days to email Ms. Curfman with a requested date/time to set up an appointment to make-up an exercise session, written test or physical test or to retake a test.
FITNESS CLOTHING (PE CLOTHES)
- T-shirt, shorts or sweatpants, socks, and athletic shoes with non-marking soles.
- Optional clothing for outdoor activities: sweatshirt or light jacket, gloves, hat (hats may be worn during outdoor activities only).
- Clothing should be comfortable and not inhibit participation from activities, and clothing should not be too revealing or distract other students.
- A hair tie is recommended for longer hair.
- Clothing worn in fitness class may not be worn to other classes during the same day; with the exception of shoes.
- No jeans/denim.
- Athletic shoes must be worn at all times and they must be properly laced/secured.
- No items (phone, keys, pencil, etc...) are allowed in your pockets.
- Water bottle (no sport drinks; water only).
- Deodorant and/or body spray (no aerosol spray cans or glass).
- Towel (optional; showers are not required).
- Extra clothing (optional; extra clothes for emergencies).
- Each student will be assigned their own personal PE locker. Locks for use on PE lockers will be provided by the school, and personal locks are not allowed in the locker room (a five-dollar fine will be assessed at the end of the semester for a lost lock).
- Student attendance is an important part of this course in order for students to gain an understanding of content and participate in performance-based assignments.
- Students who attend class are expected to participate.
- Students who fail to wear appropriate PE clothing are still required to participate and will receive disciplinary action.
- Modification or exemption of participation for 1 to 2 days for a medical condition requires a note from the school nurse or from a parent/guardian. Modification or exemption of participation for more than 2 days requires documentation from a doctor. Notes must be dated, include a contact number, include a date to return to activity, indicate specific physical limitations and a list possible modifications (i.e. for a sprained ankle, instead of jogging a student could pedal a recumbent bike or work on upper-body strength exercises). Students who cannot participate in physical activity will sit on the sideline or in the hallway and are expected to review fitness notes/study guide, or work on assignments from other classes.
- If you arrive late:
- Bring a tardy pass from the attendance office.
- Enter the gym through the north foyer doors (do not enter the locker room even if your tardy is excused).
- Report to Ms. Curfman, and wait until she is not addressing the class before you submit a pass or ask a question.
- At an appropriate time, ask a classmate what you missed.
- If you miss class:
- On the day you return to class from an absence, bring an admit slip from the attendance office. You will receive an unexcused tardy if you arrive at class without an admit slip.
- Students are responsible for content/exercise missed as a result of an absence. Be responsible and check your grades and fitness calendar to see what you missed. Handouts and assignments are available through Google classroom or see Ms. Curfman.
- You will receive the number of days you were absent to submit missing homework assignments.
- You have 10 school days to email Ms. Curfman to schedule an appointment to make-up a physical-fitness test, written test or exercise session, or to retake a test. You must attend a session in the weight room and complete at least 20 exercises for a missed strength-training workout or complete at least 25 minutes on a cardio machine for a missed cardiorespiratory endurance or fitness circuit workout.
LOCKER ROOM RULES
- Food, drinks, and gum are prohibited (water is okay).
- Keep your area clean. Don’t be messy.
- Do not use the restrooms as a changing area.
- Do not hang out in the locker room. Quickly prepare for class and head to the gym/weight room. Do not return to the locker room until the end of class.
- Keep cologne, perfume and body spray to a minimum (no glass bottles).
- Medium-size lockers are for use only during class. Put your lock back on your own locker at the end of class, or your lock and personal items will be removed and placed in the lost and found.
- Keep your personal property locked in your assigned locker. Do not share lockers.
- See the teacher if you forget your lock combination or if you have any problems with your locker.
- No personal locks are allowed in the locker room (reminder that there is a five dollar fine for a lost PE lock).
- Report any lost or found items immediately.
- Remain in the locker room with the door closed until the dismissal bell sounds.
- Students are allowed in the locker room and bathrooms for 4 minutes at the beginning and end of each period. No access to the locker room during class time.
WEIGHT ROOM RULES
- Do not use/touch or sit on weight room equipment any weight room equipment without teacher instruction/supervision.
- No inappropriate behavior such as playing, chasing, or running.
- Clean cardio machines immediately after use.
- Clean strength-training equipment when instructed, but never touch the metal rods on the weight machines.
- Do not put your feet on the benches at any time (with the exception of the lat-pulldown machine).
- Do not touch any part of a machine when in use by another person.
- Do not touch, disrupt, or distract other students while they are exercising.
- Do not walk or stand between the machines when class is in session.
- No maximal lifting.
- Do not stand in front of the dumbbell rack. Move to an open, safe area to perform exercises.
- All weights and bars must be returned to the weight racks when finished.
- Safety clips are required on barbells at all times when weight plates are in use.
- Spotters are required for the bench press.
- Run counter-clockwise.
- Use only outside lanes 3, 4, 5, and 6.
- Never stand still on the track.
- Walking is allowed only in lane 6.
- Only use lanes 1 and 2 for timed intervals (tests).
- Stay inside the white lines. Do not run on the edges of the track.
- No pushing, swearing, spitting, etc.
- Never run with more than two people alongside each other; groups are too difficult to pass.
- Inside lanes are for faster runners. Pass slower runners on the left (inside lane).
- If you hear someone behind you yell, “track”, move quickly to the right and allow them to pass on the inside.
- When finishing, be aware of other runners. Don’t just suddenly stop.
- Please bring your own water; you are not allowed to leave the track/field area to use the water fountain.
- Leave extra clothing or water bottles off to the side so they won't be a trip hazard.
- All always, shoes are required. No bare feet or socks.